Friday, March 5, 2010

Luge

We had decided to make our way to the starting area when we arrived at the Sliding Center. We made it to turn 11 and decided we were good. When we first got there, it was so warm with our big winter coats, snowpants and winter boots on. I actually took off my coat for awhile to cool off. Luge was quite the adventure. We were close enough to touch the track which, I still find interested considering all the accidents. Not quite sure how it was safe for spectators to sit as close as we were but, it didn't stop me. We watched the preparation of the track and the practice rituals of the athletes. It was pretty cool.
One of the US lugers, going through her pre-race routine. It's not interpretive dance like we originally thought.


United States luger


USA luger - this is just past the finish line
We left just before the end of the event and took the tram back down the mountain to the bus. We quickly boarded the bus and were on the road for the 2 hour trip back to Vancouver. It was now raining which makes me a little nervous on mountain roads but since I wasn't feeling overly well, I opted to fall asleep and hope the nausea would pass. I had warned Amy if I hit her, to move quickly as I would be making my way to the bathroom quickly. Fortunately, I did not get sick on the bus. When we arrived back at the Institue drop-off, we called the taxi Deb had recommended only for them to tell us they didn't pick up where we were but they very kindly gave us the number another service. Funny thing about standing in the rain in Vancouver in February..... it's still not standing out in the snow in Wisconsin in February. lol

No comments: