Saturday, September 13, 2008

'Twas the night before the Colts game.....

'Twas the night before the Colts game....
...when all through the house,
Not a Sprout was moving, cuz Alex was at Grandma's house.
The jerseys were hung in the closet with care,
In hopes that Peyton Manning soon would be there.
Jennifer was nestled
all snug in her bed,
While visions of Colts players
danced in her head.
And Denise in her Colt's thong and Viking cap
Had just settled down, for a pre-game day nap.
When out on the field there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my seat to see what was the matter.
Away to the railing I flew like a pass,
Threw down the program and started shaking my a$$.
The moon on the field could not reach below
Cuz the dome doesn't open, don'tcha know.
When what to my wondering eyes should I see
Coach Dungy and eight starting players with thee.
With the light so bright I could almost go tanning
I knew in a moment it must be Peyton Manning.
More rapid than Brady his coursers they came,
And he didn't huddle, just shouted and called them by name:
Now Rhodes! Now Harrison! Now Clark and Addai!
On Wayne! On Saturday! Vinatieri stand by!
To the fifty yard line! To the end zone so near!
Let's beat the Vikings and go have a beer!
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with a defense, mount to the sky,
So up to the dometop the players they flew,
With a brand new playbook and Tony Dungy, too.
And then in a twinkling, I heard a sound that was neat
The prancing and pawing of each little cleat.
As I stood from the railing and was turning around,
Down the field Manning came with a bound.
He was dressed all in white from his head to his A$$,
And his clothes were still stained from when the Bears put him in the grass.
A bundle of plays he had in his head,
And he looked like a conducter someone once said.
His eyes, how they watched! His voice rang out!
His play he was changing, with only one shout!
His hands they were hiding below the center's backside,
And, his feet were all ready for the defensive tide.
The mouthpiece he held tight in his teeth,
And the helmet encircled his head like a wreath.
He had recent surgery to his left knee,
It was nice that he wanted to be just like me.
He was slender not stocky, as I watched him run by,
And I laugh cuz I can't seem to cheer for Eli.
A shout to the line and a twist of his head
Soon gave us play changing that a defense will dread.
He ran down the playclock almost to nil,
And hiked the ball and fired at will,
With Harrison in the end zone a touch down they'll call
it was a play action fake that fooled them all.
He sprang to the sideline to review the play,
Praying to God for a defensive stay.
And, I heard him exclaim as the time clock ran out:
"Thanks for watching the game, now all but Jennifer get out."

A ha ha ha.

1 comment:

Ms. Lund said...

You are such a poet! I loved it! I am anxiously awaiting "Twas the Night before Girls Weekend..."