Thursday, October 25, 2012

Girl Scout Travel Journal

For our trip, I created a travel journal for the girls.  I had individual pages for the following activities:
The License Plate Game
Tic Tac Toe
The Dot Game
Rubbings
Who I Traveled With
Post Cards and Stamps (w/envelope for stamps)
Before and After (what they anticipate their favorite thing and actual)
Journal Pages
Daily Agenda w/ envelopes for storing receipts, maps, etc.
Where I've Traveled
National Zoo Pages
Sketching

The Journal size was 8" x 5".  Large enough for games and activities and small enough to carry in their back packs.  Since I printed all of the pages at home, one tip I learned was to center the page on your paper when printing front and back pages.  Another tip would be to print in grey scale until your final draft is ready to be printed.  Like any other project, changes will need to be made.  I was fortunate to have a former (now adult) Girl Scout and a former Girl Scout Leader edit my creation.  The sample I brought them had pages taped front and back to create the flow of the journal.  I changed the order several times and actually removed pages based on the size it was becoming.

Overall, this was a great project which was inspired by my daughter.  It was very time consuming though and with the cost of binding and ink, it would have been easier to purchase a generic journal.  But, that's definitely not me.  I like to create one of a kind items to make their/family trips special.
Journal Cover......  Binding and Protective covers done by Kinkos
One of the License Plate Game pages.  The other was to find the state on the map.  We also utilized it with the states we were traveling through and state capitals.
Each day has it's own pair of pages to track the daily weather, things to do and see, and things bought.  The envelopes had to be hand made to be in scale with the size of the journal.  As a result, I was able to coordinate the colors used with each page.  
One of the National Zoo pages.  The original idea was to place the Zoo map on the opposite page.  However, the picture wouldn't size properly so I opted to have a titled only page for them to draw their own map.
Before and After pages..... there was one oval per traveling girl.  The idea was to get them talking to others on the trip and find out what they were most interesting in seeing and then find out if that was actually their favorite thing.

No comments: