Friday, December 5, 2008

To warm your heart for the holidays

I have to brag for a minute about my beautiful, wonderful seven year old daughter. Last week, we received a letter from the school. Instead of exchanging gifts, the second grade class was going to donate the money we would have spent on books to send to a school in Galveston. I thought this was a very good idea. As who really needs another $2 toy?! So, Alex and I talked about why we should do this and although she was sad about not having a party, she understood. I asked her to think about how much of her money she wanted to donate and I would match her donation. Well, we kind of forgot about it until last night. There was a reminder letter sent home with today being the final day to send in donations. So, again we talked about it and I told her where her money was and asked her to go pick out what she wanted to give to the other second grade class. Now before I tell what she donated, please note my daughter earns $3 a week for her chores and hasn't really spent anything since we got back from Yellowstone in August. So, I expected her to get me 1 or 2 dollars. Imagine my surprise when she came back with $20. I asked her a couple of times if she was sure. And, she said "I want them to have books. I would want someone to give us books." I can't think about it without crying. I know she's had some issues in school but, this shows her heart and true thoughtfulness towards others. Bob and I are so proud of her. We are truly blessed to have her in our lives!!

No comments: