Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lake Powell/Glen Dam

Sunday, we had to drive back through Zion to Caramel Junction. We left the hotel early after getting ready and eating. The continental breakfast consisted of toast, Fruit Loops, Cheerios, english muffins and juice. Away we went. The next leg of our journey was about 3 hours and 140 miles. Yesterday's leg was 2 hrs 11 min and 142 miles. The road to caramel junction had a ton of switchbacks, road construction and 2 tunnels. I was less than thrilled to go into the 1.1 mile tunnel but I was the only one in the car who felt that way. This tunnel was a little different. It was completed in 1930 and had cut outs periodically that looked out into the canyon. It also had a sign before entered to remind you there was no stopping in the tunnel. Interesting combo. Great viewpoints, no stopping! Huh?! The rest of the road towards Powell Lake was pretty but nothing major to look at. Glen Dam was pretty cool though. Its on the opposite end of the Grand Canyon as Hoover Dam and also has a massive bridge nearby. We spent some time at the visitor's center and took some pictures. The one point in the Glen Canyon Recreational Area we were interested in was called Horseshoe Bend. The hike was listed as easy and may take an hour so we headed off. I did not anticipate the heat or the heat of sand in my sandles. The sand itslef was beautiful as long as it stayed out of the sandle. It was fine and red. Very cool. The walk down to Horseshoe point was very nice. And horseshoe point was incredible. The name comes from the bend in the river looking like a horseshoe. The Colorado river was low today but beautiful none the less. I'd like to say the hike back up was easy but I'd be lying. Mainly because of the sand. Upon returning to the car I peered into the mirror and wondered if my face was that red due to the heat or was it sunburnt. I'd say now it some some of both but it scared me greatly that it was all burnt. Even though we had drank lots of water and applied sunblock, I did not need a repeat of last year's burn. So, we opted next to try and check into our hotel for the night. But I had missed another time change and we had another hour to kill. We next went to Pizza hut for lunch and by time we were done we could check in. Bob and I layed down for a while and Alex lisited to the Ipod (I'm glad we won this. It sure has come in handy!) The rest of the day was pretty low key. We went to Walmart to replenish some supplies and had dinner at Sonic. Alex spent some much needed time in the pool and we made potential plans to head back to Vegas a day early. And as I had been up at the crack of 5:15 again. I was ready for bed early.

No comments: